Friday, November 3, 2023
Dear St. Aidan’s,
As we look toward worshipping together this Sunday, I want to be sure to remind you (and myself!) that this is the weekend when we “fall back,” and set our clocks back one hour before we go to sleep on Saturday night. So, it may feel a bit easier to get up and out the door to church this Sunday morning with an extra hour for rest!
I’m happy to report that we had an amazing turnout to our Halloween Trick-or-Treating event outside in front of the church this past Tuesday night. We had around 150 people come by for goodie bags and share hot chocolate with us. Not only did groups of older kids and parents with younger children drop by, but even just adults out for an evening stroll stopped by for hot cocoa, to admire the jack-o-lanterns, and step inside to admire our beautiful church building. I am grateful to Elizabeth Achimah for organising and promoting this event for us, to Erika Schryer and Paul Ebner for being with us that evening, and to the youth who created the great jack-o-lanterns. (You can see photos on our St. Aidan’s Facebook page, and consider following our page if you aren’t already doing so.)
Looking ahead, we’ll soon be entering the Season of Advent, when we prepare our hearts for celebrating Jesus’ birth at Christmas. I’ll be leading a weekly Zoom small group during Advent, using one of Kate Bowler’s free Advent devotionals (details to come). In addition, please mark your calendars for our annual Holiday Market on Sat., Dec. 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Then, on Sat., Dec. 9, our children’s and youth program will host a special Christmastime event open to anyone in the community (details to come).
We can also look forward to Advent Lessons and Carols on Sun., Dec, 10, at 4 p.m.—I hope you’ll plan to attend and perhaps even lend your voice to our choir during this season when we especially like to make a joyful noise! Contact Michael Pirri if you’re interested in giving choir a try as they prepare for Advent Lessons and Carols as well as for Christmas Eve worship.
This Sunday, Nov. 5, we’ll observe All Saints’ Sunday, and then on Nov. 12 we’ll observe Remembrance Sunday. I hope you’ll consider worshipping with us and wearing your red poppies as we remember those who have gone before us in service and sacrifice.
Grace and peace,
Week of November 5 - NOTICES AT A GLANCE – more details below
AND NOW THE DETAILS:
1. Live Streaming at 10:30 am, Order of Service - The service will be livestreamed at the following link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/91628466455
Meeting ID: 916 2846 6455
To access the Order of Service click here:
2. Beach Interfaith Outreach - Locations and dates are listed in the Beach Metro News. Tues., Nov. 7, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. is the next lunch here.
3. Our next Supper at St. Aidan’s will be held Thursday, November 16 starting at 5:45 p.m. Following dinner, at 7 p.m. in the Willow Room, Kim Bradshaw will speak on “We Saved the Greenbelt—Now What?” All are welcome to dinner, and to stay for Kim’s presentation if you can.
4. Leaf Raking, Sat., Nov. 18, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Help St. Aidan’s keep our ‘no-blow’ commitment! Join us for coffee, doughnuts, and leaf raking. We have several rakes on hand, but feel free to bring your own. We will leave a few spots of fallen leaves undisturbed for beneficial insects to overwinter. Contact Courtney Ebner, email@example.com.
5. Save the date! Celebration of New Ministry for our new incumbent, the Rev. Dr. Rebecca Bridges, will be on Sunday, November 19, at 4 p.m. with a reception to follow. Celebrant will be our archdeacon, the Venerable Cheryl Palmer, and the preacher will be the Rev. Molly Finlay. Please plan to join us for this special moment in the life of our parish. (Football fans take note—we will finish before the Grey Cup kickoff at 6 p.m.)
6. St. Aidan’s Annual Holiday Market is Sat., Dec. 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This is a festive event as we begin Advent and a great way to welcome people from the neighbourhood into our church. We are in need of 6-8 volunteers to assist with event set-up on Thurs., Nov. 30, at 6 p.m. and take-down on Sat., Dec. 2, at 3:15 p.m., specifically people with the ability to move pews and tables. If you are willing to sign up to help, please contact Rev. Becky at firstname.lastname@example.org If you have any questions about Holiday Market, please contact Dayle Snider.
7. An archive of sermon manuscripts by Rev. Becky, along with sermons and weekly reflections by Deacon Michael, can be found on our website: https://staidansinthebeach.com/services/pages/sermons-and-reflections
8. Children’s and Youth Ministry has an Amazon wish list! If you would like to contribute, please check out this link: https://www.amazon.ca/hz/wishlist/dl/invite/fE4e1zd?ref_=wl_share
9. Euchre - Join us on Tuesday nights from 7-9 p.m. for a fun and friendly evening of progressive Euchre downstairs in the main hall. Beginners welcome. $5.00 to play. All proceeds go to our community outreach.
10. Announcements for the Notices - Please submit any announcements for the weekly notices on Wednesdays by 4 pm.
11. Offerings - Thank you for your support. There are a variety of ways to make your donation: