St. Aidan's began around 1880 with Pastor H. Dixon, who started preaching in a tent on Queen Street to serve the residents in the area. As the city of Toronto grew, in the 1890s the church was still housed in a tent, though one that could hold up to 500 people! The building had a wooden roof and oil lamps, with canvas sides.
In 1907, construction began on a permanent building. By 1909 St. Aidan's had officially moved to 2423 Queen St. East at the corner of Queen and Silver Birch Ave.